Tuesday, December 2, 2008

TWD: Linzer Sables

This week's recipe is Linzer Sables chosen by Dennis of Living the Life.

I have to say, these are my favorite cookies that we've made so far. I'm surprised because they're so simple to make. The flavors compliment each other perfectly.




The recipe gives you the option of using finely chopped almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts. I wanted to try hazelnuts, but Trader Joes didn't have them, so I used almonds.



Of course, I had to try the batter as a preview of how the cookie will taste. It was good. It has ground cloves and cinnamon which adds a hint of spice. Very mellow, but it gives it a nice flavor.



I used a two inch cookie cutter as Dorie suggested and made 27 sandwich cookies. Added some raspberry jam and a sprinkle of powdered sugar and, voila...



They taste as good as they look. Jeff gave them a thumbs up too. I want to make these again using hazelnuts with a chocolate filling. Yum.
For the recipe, you can check out Dennis' blog with the link above or buy the book if you don't already have it. It's totally worth having. See what other TWD members are doing here. Thanks Dennis! You picked a winner. :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful cookies! i agree, these are my favorite dorie recipe so far. i loved them.

Madam Chow said...

Hazelnuts and chocolate does sound like it would be a good filling. Glad these were a hit at your house.

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

That's funny. I did the hazelnut-chocolate combination, and now you're making wish I'd tried jam. ;)

Anonymous said...

Your linzer sables look perfect!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your cookies look fabulous!

Peggy said...

Your cookies are beautiful. I wish I had sandwiched mine now that I see how pretty everyone else's are. I was in a rush and just sugared them. But they were very tasty. Glad you enjoyed as well!

Amanda said...

These look beautiful! Mine were a failure, but you know that, you already stopped by LOL So glad that you loved them!

noskos said...

Glad you liked them, they look great!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your Linzers are perfection on a plate! We loved them with the jam and almonds. I'd like to try them with other nuts also, and maybe Nutella. Both of the other two cookie recipes are good also.
Nancy